Monday, February 1, 2010

unique cricut ideas and a birthday

So, we had a lovely birthday dinner, cake tasted perfect, tall sparkler candles were perfect, Ava was perfect and I got the cutest video of her talking and singing and telling Joe happy birthday - cutest. video. ever. - but apparently I wasn't operating the camera correctly and so it wasn't actually recording but for a second - ah well! Also, that little bit of sick Ava was on Friday evening turned into a raging stomach virus which now Joe and I have both contracted from her - but for the few brief moments below she felt better and we weren't sick yet.



Oh, and that black, silver, and red birthday banner is from my new Cricut Expression! I finally bought it. I don't scrapbook or make cards that much so I was so on the fence about it but when my sister in law mentioned that she used it to cut fabric - I thought "my wall collage" - and that was it Joe was sent to Walmart on Saturday night for it. I am definitely foreseeing a Sure Cuts A Lot software purchase - because the cartridges are SO expensive and I want endless design freedom. So here is a list of links to some projects you can use it for that aren't scrapbook pages or cards. 

1. Kitchen Themed Invitations from Design Mom. Just think about 3-D invitations and using the cricut with objects. I agree with Design Mom my favorite template is the tag one. She also has a great idea for luminaries.


2. Vinyl Decals. There are so many great retailers selling vinyl like Uppercase Living (pics below). Buy your Cricut vinyl from etsy pre-cut to fit your machine / mat - it is so much cheaper and the color selection is much better than in the stores. I love the middle idea here because it utilizes the 'left overs' and you can use the flowers for something else.

 

3. Banners - see mine above or google image search ideas - I love the way the ribbons are tied between the shapes on this one at Creative Party Place. I want to make one for Ava's birthday in bright rainbow colors with lots of funky ribbon between each letter.















4. Paper sculpture like this bouquet. Instructions here via the Cricut message boards. Hint, hint pop-dots between the shapes!

















5. Make fabric shapes - just line the back with the appropriate level of fusible webbing first. Applique' shirts. Make that wall collage. Oh the possibilities! The pic below of the flowers is from dear lizzy and you should go spend a few years of your life reading her blog because it is awesome! Here is a flower headband tutorial for the cricut inspired by the dear lizzy flowers.













6. Memory Games. Even my 18 month old can play a version of memory - I put them all face up and tell her to pick up the 'matches'. This one is from Petit Elefant. Ava would love one with familiar images or faces.



8. Tiny Shape Confetti. Also from Dear Lizzy is this picture of tons of tiny shapes in a shadow box frame.


***Update 2/26 Cricut mobile idea here.
***Update 9/28/10 I added a category just for Cricut ideas since everyone loves them apparently! Click HERE for all the posts with this label
Have any unique Cricut ideas to share? Feel free to post links below!
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails